Your land matters.
Whether you’re discovering what unlawning is, or you’re looking for advice on getting started, you’ve come to the right place. Learn everything you need to know about turning your grass lawn into an eco-friendly, sustainable yard or habitat!
The Unlawn Mission:
To create a post-lawn world.
We imagine every neighborhood will contain a thriving, connected unlawn ecosystem where people play a supporting role in sustaining plants, wildlife, and nature.
Unlawn your yard! It’s easier than you think.
Unlawn.org is happy to now offer yard signs!
Unlawn to elevate your ecosystem.
Support local biodiversity and give nature a chance to be part of your life. By unlawning parts of your property that you don’t use frequently, you can make a major impact for species facing ecological stresses while forming a close bond with nature.
When you unlawn your yard, you give up a portion of your monoculture grass lawn. But in exchange, you get plants that benefit you and your local ecosystem.
As a proud land steward, what benefits can you expect?
- Enjoy the natural beauty of beneficial plants
- Attract wildlife, take amazing photos!
- Produce food for people and animals
- Connect your lawn to wild places and friendly people
- Reduce lawn maintenance to save time and money
- Simplify your management by controlling light and water levels
- Plants naturally benefit your soil, and so no fertilizer is needed
- Minimal effort and money is required because unlawning is a natural process
What we do.
We help homeowners and landowners reenvision and dedicate their property as a portion of nature and reduce their maintenance work (i.e. mowing the lawn). And homeowners don’t need to give up their home’s cleanliness or their lawn’s aesthetic beauty and usefulness. We facilitate this reenvisioning by giving technical advice on our blog, and by offering walk-and-talks and unlawning plans.
Converting monoculture grass lawns to mixed, wild, natural, and productive ecosystems is a process we call “unlawning.”
To guide you through the process of stewarding your land to a desired condition, we take a hands-on approach to your unlawn project.
We can help you with questions like:
- Where can I get native plants online?
- What does the unlawning process look like?
- What part of my property should I unlawn?
- What are the best native plant species for my zone?
- How can I create habitat and food sources for wildlife?
What’s the difference between Unlawning and Rewilding?
Unlawning is an approach to rewilding that works for most homeowners. Rewilding is a new conservation concept, led by groups like rewilding.org and Homegrown National Park. The core concept of rewilding is to reverse the trend of habitat loss by restoring wild places in and around suburbs and cities.
Unlawning differs from rewilding in that the focus is on inviting nature to come into your lawn. You get to maintain good aesthetics (and avoid codes complaints) and your usable lawn space while providing a designated space for nature. The idea is that nature and people belong together.
Unlawn.org can help you achieve your goals on your property!
Ready to get started with your unlawn project? Fill out the form below to get in touch with an unlawning expert. Or check out our Comprehensive Unlawning Guide.